New Spins: 21st July 2021

This is New Spins, my fortnightly review of three of the best new releases I've been listening to recently from across all genres and styles.


Everson Poe - Grief // Trepanation Recordings


When I reviewed Ancestral Memory, Everson Poe's split with The Sun Came Up Upon The Left, it was the first time I had listened to Mae Schultz's music; and I really enjoyed it, but I felt that the samples overtook the music a bit and it missed something in the balance. However, on this latest album Grief, the balance of music and sample use is perfect! There's a definitive story to Grief which you can read in detail on the Bandcamp notes, but it's fascinating and gives some new dimensions to what is already a stunning record musically. Everson Poe creates heavy music that defies simple genre tag lines. It's a combination of everything with a rawness that feels brutal, passionate and quite unique. There is melody and melancholy but also overwhelmingly dark and heavy moments too that hit perfectly with the sample-led narrative, and it makes for an absolutely mesmerising record.

Listen and purchase on Bandcamp



PLUHM - Cattedrale // Rum Fixion Records


Inspired by Etna, the volcano which dominates the Eastern landscape of Sicily where PLUHM is based, Cattedrale is a record so full of texture it feels almost tangible. Most of us think of a volcano as a monolithic beast of pure natural destruction, but Cattedrale offers something a little more nuanced and refined in it's interpretation of Etna in musical form. PLUHM has made a fantastic piece of sonic art here; the record is a sensational and grandiose concoction of swirling, hypnotic, and emotional electronic drones and abstract synth melodies. It reminds me in places of Norwegian duo Deaf Center, another act who often take inspiration from mountainous landscapes. Cattedrale is definitely an absorbing listen, and is one of the best ambient records I've heard which looks to portray something inanimate in such detail.

Listen and purchase on Bandcamp



Deafheaven - Great Mass Of Colour // Sargeant House


When I intially heard this first single from Deafheaven's upcoming fifth album Infinite Granite, my immediate thought was 'where has this side of Deafheaven been hiding?!', and that has a lot to do with the vocals. I do wonder why, if George Clark can sing cleanly with such wonderful timbre and tone, he has not done so on record before? I love Deafheaven's music, but I do feel that, particularly on their last two albums, it has often cried out for more depth in the vocals beyond the howling screams. Now it seems that Deafheaven are almost completely flipping the switch to the other side vocally rather than looking to balance this new element into their sound. Having said all of that, Great Mass Of Colour is unbelievably catchy, and possibly their most naturally hook driven song yet, and I have struggled to get it out of my head for the last couple of weeks. I've found myself humming that chorus incessantly without even thinking about it, and whilst I hope Deafheaven aren't about to start on a journey to becoming a radio friendly alt-rock act with this new album, there's is something undeniably great about this song that bodes well for the album.

Listen on Youtube



If you'd like to send me music to listen to for future editions of New Spins then please email your music and some info to wolvesinthedronedoom@gmail.com 

Comments